Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bali Day #10, July 16th, 2013, Cultural Trip to Ubud Part 1 of 3

In 2003 when I was last in Bali, the island was in shock from the bombings.  Tourists and the dollars they bring were in short supply.  Now, there's many Boleh (whites) who live here and many more that visit.  Many stores have published prices and it's much fairer.  The market is another story.  Prices are often raised by 1000% and even if you bargain down, you will pay 1.5-2x what you should.   We obtained our best deals when Sani went out on her own.  

I wanted to purchase a tasteful nude picture of an island woman for my home office with Mt. Agung in the background.  The price before I walked up was (65,000/$6.50); the price after I walked up grew to (350,000/$35.00).  I was able to get them down to (200,000/$20.00). But, i decided not to get it.  

We went to the very large Ubud Market, saw the dance theatre and explored a nearby village.  Enjoy the pictures. 


Chairs that look like giant hands. 


Ubud Market. 


Street Hawkers. They'll try and sell you sunglasses even if you are already wearing them. 


By far, the best soup I've had on the trip.  Soto Ayam (chicken soup) for (14,000/$1.40). 



Ubud Market. 


A temple nestled in the rice fields outside of Ubud. 


Weird picture of Chris and I in the Kijang. 


Wood carver in the village.  We found out they used chain saws to start out the carving and refine with knives.  


Temple entrance   


Rice field village. 


Chris at rice field village.  

No comments:

Post a Comment